September 16, 2019

please send the invite

Daniel and I were invited to spend Sunday afternoon with a family in our ward playing games and eating cookies. It was Hannalyn's Primary Teacher and we had a delightful time. Seriously so much fun. We didn't stay long because Daniel had meetings, but Hannalyn loved playing with their youngest daughter and we played some new games which we always love doing.

After we left though, I felt melancholy. And that made me sad because I didn't want to be sad about such a lovely, relaxed and fun afternoon. 

I finally realized that I felt sad because I realized that, other than a few outings to the park, it is the first time that my family has been invited any where. To do any thing. With any one. In . . . possibly a year or more. 

Now, I love going to park with my friend & her boys and NOTHING is more precious to me than those hours at the park every other week. I love that time. And we take turns setting the day and time which is so perfect and chill and wonderful.

But the last time I was invited somewhere was to lunch on my birthday. In February.

And before that . . . maybe my birthday the year before? Oh sure - we talk about doing things all the time. But it never happens. We get busy and they get busy and suddenly a year has passed.

I got really sad about this for a moment. And then I had an epiphany. 

I will never be the reason that someone feels this way.

I never want to be the one that doesn't send an invitation and someone goes weeks, months, years! without being invited. This is SO HARD for me because I feel like I am annoying. Seriously. I text so people so many times about so many things that it is a wonder to me that my number isn't blocked (maybe it is and I just don't know). I have had several conversations with God about this issue. And you know what He told me? 

I never stop inviting you. Even when you don't answer.

And I felt that so deep in my soul that I knew that no matter what, if I feel impressed to invite someone even if I know they can't come, by golly I'll invite them anyway. Even - and especially - when it's hard.

My challenge to you is to send the invite. It's hard. It's scary. The house is messy and the children need to go to bed. It's been the worst week and there is not an extra hour to talk. Send the invite anyway. It does both you - and them - a world of difference. I promise.

Just getting the text made me smile and feel lighter than I had in days (even though I secretly admit I almost blew it off because I was anxious and worried). Just knowing that someone was thinking about my family made my WEEK. It was so simple to do and it meant the world to this introvert and her family.

No comments:

Post a Comment